Saturday, February 05, 2005

Welcome to Alcinous's Banquet

Welcome to my first foray into the world of blogging. I am setting out on this adventure to talk about the wide-ranging things that interest me -- about subjects as diverse as Traditional Catholicism and modern information Technology, and its effect on culture and society. The name of the blog is a reference to something written by Dr. John Senior (RIP), who once wrote about "Cowboy coffee" and what it means to be an American. I'll post the passage later. By way of introduction, I am a 42 year old father of four; a lawyer and traditional Catholic (but not necessarily in that order, of course.) A native Oklahoman, I write from Tulsa where I was born and raised and will, God willing, be privileged to die someday when He's through with me. A former political conservative, I was converted to Christ and His Church as an adult, when God reached out and gave me the precious gift of my first child. I say "former political conservative" not because I am no longer conservative, but instead because I largely gave up politics when I came to believe. (I once told my former pastor, Fr. James Jackson FSSP, that "I ceased being a Republican when I became a Catholic.") That is, to be sure, largely hyperbolic -- one of my legion of faults -- but conveys a grain of truth in that, prior to my conversion politics was the only God I knew. Politics still interest me, of course. But I now know (at least I think know) that politics are not the answer to human happiness and all the ills of this world. My other interests include the Church and Her crises; the Traditional Latin Mass; and in addition to those central themes, the law -- I'm a practicing attorney whose practice centers on bankruptcy and civil litigation of various types; culture and the culture wars; the establishment of the monastery at Clear Creek (the Priory of Our Lady of Annunciation of Clear Creek), in the foothills of the Ozarks in Eastern Oklahoma; my friends and, of course, my children and family. In the meantime, may God bless all who enter here and all those near and dear to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment